Evaluation & Management Coder - Clinic/Health System
* Position is Work-From-Home / Off-Site anywhere in USA! *
E&M Coder Job Summary:
** Requires CCS or CPC! **
E&M Coder Background:
- Reviews and analyzes medical information from medical records against billed procedures to apply accurate coding of diagnostic and procedural information in accordance with national coding guidelines and appropriate reimbursement requirements.
- Accurately assigns correct principal and secondary codes, and abstracts pertinent information from patient’s records to ensure codes are assigned.
- Audit vendors to ensure accurate codes are captured; provide feedback / corrections as needed.
- Performs a detailed review of the inpatient medical record to verify you have coded each line with the appropriate diagnosis, procedure, and revenue code and that the ICD-9 / ICD-10 diagnosis and procedure codes were coded and sequenced correctly to achieve the appropriate MS-DRG, AP-DRG, or APR-DRG.
- Responsible for resolving any and all pre-bill edits, denials, etc for assigned accounts.
- Makes corrections as needed to ensure accurate billing and reimbursement processing; if needed, provides written justification for use by client organizations to adjust claims.
- Consults with medical providers to clarify missing or inadequate record information and to determine appropriate diagnostic and procedure codes.
- Requires CCS or CPC.
- Current or eligible/in-process Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) or Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA) is a significant plus.
- Around 5 years of outpatient surgical / ambulatory care coding experience - must include Emergency Room / Emergency Department experience.
- Must have recent EPIC experience (at least 1 year).
- Must be highly-experienced with assigning both facility and professional E/M levels (experience must be current).
- Must be highly experienced with coding of injections and infusions (experience must be current).
- Able to work independently with a high degree of attention to detail and reliable decision-making abilities.
- Computer skills necessary to provide accurate medical record reviews and any corresponding documentation of results through remote access. Experience with an encoder preferred.
- Ability to maintain at least a 95% accuracy rate.